"screech...screech..what is going on with the can opener?" "Gosh, can it not work when I need it to?" I readjusted the can and tried again. This time it responded with a quiet notification that it had reached the end of its road. I had a flashback of my mom's old-old electric can opener that is yellow and brown AND still works!
After opening several cans using the manual method it occurred to me that the can openers in my kitchen were wedding gifts - about 8 1/2 years old. What? How can that be?
Could our marriages be like the can openers? Getting a little rusty, motors running out of power? Is it a priority to keep them in good working order? Do we take advantage of our spouse - always thinking that they will "run" they way they did when our marriage was brand new?
So many of our couple friends are approaching their 10-year anniversaries this year. Yeah! It is a testimony to me that marriage does still work today! Just as my electric can-opener bit the dust this morning forcing us into manual mode it reminded me that my marriage with Coley isn't instant joy, bliss and oneness - it is instead more like the manual mode. It takes commitment, trust, prayer, time together and priority in my life. It also takes God - he is the only one that has sustained us!
"Give honor to marriage and remain faithful to one another in marriage." Hebrews 13:4a
Have you seen Fireproof? I haven't but am looking forward to watching it! Happy Thursday!
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm reading and enjoying. It's so sweet to see how the Lord is working in your life. Keep pressing on!
Hey Amanda! Heather gave us your blog address so we are checking it periodically. You are a great blogger! Do you mind if we follow?
Post a Comment