Rest....doesn't that sound like a peaceful word?
If you say it softly and at almost a whisper- "rest" - it conjours up thoughts of curling up in a big, fluffy blanket on rainy day and completely relaxing into the most comfortable chair you can picture. Add in a hot latte and maybe a pumpkin scone and you've got it made!
Well today was not one of those at "rest" days -even though I had most of the ingredients - pumpkin scone (made by yours truely - finally found the copycat recipe of the ones at Starbucks), a hot latte, rain (lots of it - Yeah!), and a comfy chair. Yet again I was without rest! Grrr!!!
We are still trying to get adjusted to the school routine. Paige awoke at 6:15 a.m. and by 7:50 a.m. we were rushing to get shoes on. She is a really slow riser and you have to give her time to wake up fully before doing anything. This morning I caught her in a dead stare, sitting in her panties on the side of her bed...when she was supposed to be getting dressed.
Next, Landri who was also supposed to be getting dressed came to me and said in her cartoon voice "my panties are really tight" and I kindly responded "that is because you put both legs through one leg opening - you silly!" Next, she declared "there are ants in my closet!!!" The fire ants had descended on Landri's closet and were covering her dirty clothes hamper and the carpet. GRRRRR!
Okay- so after the GRRRR! moment and getting Landri in her panties correctly - I called to voice to Coley that we didn't have any ant spray and what was I supposed to do - all the while giving Paige the evil Mommy eye to finish getting dressed.
Breathe. Okay so next we finally get in the car, leaving ants behind to fend for themselves in the closet and head off to get a friend and go to school.
Breathe deeply more and apologize to Paige for yelling and getting angry with her this morning over getting dressed - did the same when dropping off Landri at Gym n learn.
Day was okay - then it started to unravel again when I picked Paige up at school. Behavior problems today - exhausted Paige - we finally make it home and Landri doesn't quite make it to the potty and let's just say that we had #2 pretty much smeared all over the potty seat and her bum. Yeah! Get to scrub not only the potty, but bathtub after I washed all of the poo off of her. On to do homework! Did I say that Paige was completely exhausted? Remember the 6:15 thing?
All this to say that God kept whispering into my heart - just "rest" in me! I just love that! I did lots of crying today for many different reasons, called my hubby to vent, called my mom and sister to vent (actually we both vented about our darling children) and prayed numerous times for me to respond with Godliness in each situation. I love Skillet's song "Rest" for the lyrics are so true:
Still, soft quietly spoken voice That persistently calls my name
And quickens my heart to come And I come
Chorus:
And I rest in the shelter of Your love
And I rest in the wonder of Your grace
And I rest in the shelter of Your love
And I rest in the wonder of You
Embraced in the promise of You
Is rest for the weary soul
Releasing all that is mine
I reach for You
Take all the old and You make it new
Everything I give to You
You're the hope that can pull me through
Hallelujah
Have some heavenly rest this weekend!
Friday, September 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You should post your recipe for pumpkin scones!!!!
Post a Comment