Friday, April 16, 2010

Science Project


Last week we become annual members of a great zoo nearby. I thought it would be a great homeschooling adventure with endless things to explore and learn about. So over the last week we have been working on our first "project". The girls and I visited the zoo and throughout the day they took pictures of their favorite animals. At the end of the day I asked them to select their favorite animal from the trip and that would be the animal we would learn more about.

Landri chose the giraffe and flamingo. Flamingos are her all-time favorite and she looks forward to seeing them each trip. This trip, the flamingos were really vocal and were all standing up "engaging" with one another. I figured out it was mating season. Oh the joy! Landri could not get over how loud they were.

Paige chose the Blue-Breasted Kingfisher (an African bird). She took pictures and was really pumped to learn more. She also wanted to learn more about Lorikeets, a type of parrot. We fed the Lorikeets some nectar by hand which the girls loved. I had several attack me, which I did not love. ;0)


We went to the library and checked out books about the animals they choose. Then we spend an afternoon on the couch reading and learning more about the animals and what makes them unique. I learned alot too. We made a list summarizing the fun and interesting characteristics about the animals and have been reviewing them.

Today was the wrap up on these animals. I asked them to build the animals we learned about out of play-doh. It was hilarious. They tried as best as possible to stay true to the characteristics of each animal.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wish we were there to share in these experiences. I can't wait to see them so they can tell me all about the animals.