Sunday, October 31, 2010

A family of 5...



We welcomed Luke Easton Elkins on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 12:32 p.m. He weighed 8lbs 6 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. It was an incredible experience!

I was induced around 8 a.m. and just over four hours later he made his arrival. Labor wasn't too bad and I am glad that part is over including pregnancy. I have the most amazing doctor! She listened to my concerns and plan for the birth and was on board all the way. I could not have more pleased with the level of care of the labor and delivery nurses and staff at the hospital. I did have some issues with the epidural which left me with no feeling in my legs until after 6 p.m. that night which was interesting, but once I got my legs back I was feeling pretty good.

Coley, my mom (Meme)and Heather (a.k.a. Aunt Bessie) were with me in the delivery room which was a blessing. Pepper, Ninna and Pappy had Ethan and the girls in the waiting room. We could not have done it without all their help. God worked out all the details and blessed us richly!

The girls were really excited to meet Luke and see what he was all about. Landri kept looking at my tummy and then would look at him in disbelief. Paige wanted to wrap him up and love him immediately. They did so good at the hospital as it was a really long day for them.

Coley was such a trooper. There were several times during the delivery that I got a bit short and said a few angry words at him. I later apologized and he told me that he didn't take it personally. He is such a good dad - from the moment each of our children have been born he has jumped in and took fathering seriously. I am so thankful to have a best friend and husband that considers our family a top priority in his life!

So the past two weeks have been interesting, exhausting, exciting and completely overwhelming at times. It has been great for our family of 5 to make this adjustment and spend lots of time together. Aunt Bessie and Ethan made the first few days from the hospital bearable and enjoyable - they helped and encouraged us so much.

There is so much to say...I am looking forward to finding out the plans that God has for Luke. I can't wait to see more of his personality, his likes, dislikes, passions, etc. He is a cutie who loves to be snuggled - but not swaddled- he loves his bassinet so far and somewhat likes his pacifer - he hates having his diaper changed - is adjusting to riding in the car - has watched his first World Series from his daddy's arms- loves to hear his sisters' talk to him - is sleeping really good throughout the night so far! - and is a joy to me! I am thankful to have this experience of motherhood again and this time with a boy.

Just a side note - Each of our children have been born on Wednesdays at around the same time of day - funny but neat. Paige was born at 1:43 p.m., Landri at 12:15 p.m. and Luke at 12:32 p.m.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Great pictures. He is already such a blessing. Can't wait to snuggle with him again.